[Usability] Button ordering
- From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- To: gtk-devel-list gnome org, gnome-hackers gnome org, usability gnome org
- Subject: [Usability] Button ordering
- Date: 02 Nov 2001 15:28:04 -0500
I've just applied Gregory Merchan's patch in:
To make the GTK+ standard dialogs button ordering conform to the gnome
usability project's dialog proposal.
This is Mac style with the "action" button at the lower right
hand corner, as opposed to what we've done in the past - Windows style
with the default button at the left.
[ Help ] [ Cancel ] [ OK ]
[ Help ] [ OK ] [ Cancel ]
While I'm willing to be told that this is the better ordering (the
fact that Windows and Mac disagree probably mean that there is no
"right" ordering), I have two reservations about the change:
* Familiarity is important; I'm feeling quite disoriented by
the change and other of our users will probably be disoriented
too, both existing GNOME users and users coming from Windows.
* With this change we'll have inconsistency in all apps until
they are fixed.
Anyways, since I'm sure this change is going to cause controversy I
thought I might as well start the flame war myself to save time ;-)
] [Thread Prev