Re: [Usability] Disclosure triangles

On Sat, 2001-12-29 at 17:51, Julian Missig wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
>  > <quote who="Liam Quin">
>  >
>  >> But if I can click on the label next to the triangle, it's no
>  >> longer a nightmare in clicking a tenth-of-an-inch-across control
>  >> that doesn't even look pressed or highlight when the mouse is
>  >> over it.

That was how I intended it.

>  >> The "Less information" triangle is odd in the screenshot
>  >> referenced above. The triangle should point upwards, to sho that
>  >> the extra info will be hidden.
>  >>
>  >> Better would be "show details..." and "hide details" I think.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Would the "..." imply a dialogue?
>  >
>  > Anyway, here's a screenie of Jim's download box in Glade, with my
>  > more buttonous version of the disclosure button (that everyone said
>  > looked like arse, or at least they meant arse when they said ass):
>  >
>  > http://perkypants.org/screenshots/disclosure-button.png
>  >
>  > I tried it as a toggle button; looked pretty assy.
>  >

> "..." implies a dialog to me...
>

> The buttonous version isn't as bad looking as I thought it would be, I
> guess that's ok. It definitely indicates that it's clickable...

Unfortunately the elipsis is the standard for "you need to enter
information to continue", so "..." does imply a dialog.

And I did experiment with toggle buttons and regular buttons before I
settled on

GtkEventBox
+-- GtkHBox
    +-- GtkArrow
    +-- GtkLabel

That just looked the best IMO.

Perhaps if the GtkEventBox were highlighted on mouseover, ala
Gtk{Check,Radio}Button?

    Jim Cape
    http://www.ignore-your.tv

    "No cause, no God, no abstract idea can justify the mass
     slaughter of innocents."
        -- Edward Said