Re: [Usability] Disclosure triangles

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 05:18:43AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> This idea - disclosing only further information, not providing more
> interactive widgets - seems pretty solid. Anyone have *good* examples
> proving the opposite; of disclosure triangles being used to hide extra
> widgets?

This paradigm was used extensively in Sun's open look desktop -- a dialogue
box would have a button amrked "+", and if you pressed it, the dialogue
would grow smoothly to show more controls.  These controls were usually
for settings that most people wouldn't need, or that would be only
occasiobnally needed compared to the others.

To me, it felt like some video recorders and sound equipment, with a flap
you can lift to reveal controls for tuning or adjusting vertical sync :-)

The Motif interface, with chunkier controls, felt more like a ghetto
blaster.

Liam

--
Liam Quin - XML Core staff contact, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/