Re: [Usability] Disclosure triangles

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 10:36:20AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > A couple of people on IRC have mentioned the Windows-style "More >>"
> > > buttons, which would be regarded as disclosure buttons (without the elegance
> > > and lack of self-documentation that the triangle presents).
> >
> > While I can't argue on the 'elegance', I could argue on the
> > 'self-documentation' aspect.  I find it easier to understand a "More >>"
> > button.
>
> My phrasing was less than stellar there. I meant that the "More >>" button
> was less elegant, and did not have the lack of self-documentation.
>
> Double negatives suck arse!

Ahh, my thinking is still czech, and in czech a double negative is still
negative.  For example: "Nobody wasn't there" is correct grammar in czech.
Maybe this is why there aren't that many czech speaking logicians.

> Perhaps it would be better as:
>
> +----------------------------------+
> | pr0n.mpg                         |
> +----------------------------------+
> |                                  |
> |  Downloading 4.9MB of 9.3MB...   |
> |                                  |
> |  +----------------------------+  |
> |  |###################|        |  |
> |  |###################|        |  |
> |  +----------------------------+  |
> |                                  |
> |  [ > Statistics ]                |
> |                                  |
> +----------------------------------+
>
> As a very simple, thinly raised button? If not, the arrow should at least
> show the depth of a button (kind of like the checkbox/optionbox on some
> themes).

Yeah, that is a lot better I think.  I think the argument of 'let's make it
hard to understand so that new users don't click it and get confused' is on
crack.  I mean, I might get just as confused as someone who is not a new
user.

Such advanced things should still be understandable by humans, the only
reason for hiding them should be to reduce clutter so that you see the
important things first.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that