Re: [Usability] Disclosure triangles

Liam Quin wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 04:12:49PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
>> Here is a pic of Jim Cape's most excellent GnomeChat dialogues:
>> http://jimbob.myip.org/sshots/2001_10_08_171943_shot.jpg
>>
>> Lumpy arrow, good labels. Thoughts?
>>

> I would like to be able to click anywhere on "more information".
> Actually I'd prefer a button that said "more information..."
>
> Why should I have to fiddle around trying to click on some tiny
> triangle when there's all that space used for the label?
>
> The tree triangles in Mozilla, I hate with a passion -- I am never
> sure what, if anything, clicking on one will do, and I don't
> remember whether I need to single or double click, and there's no
> feedback (busy cursor, etc) to show I've clicked.  Tree triangles
> on the mac I can usally deal with, although it's not obvious which
> shape means "click to expand more" and which means" things are
> hidden" and which means "nothing more here".
>
> But if I can click on the label next to the triangle, it's no longer
> a nightmare in clicking a tenth-of-an-inch-across control that
> doesn't even look pressed or highlight when the mouse is over it.
>
> The "Less information" triangle is odd in the screenshot referenced
> above. The triangle should point upwards, to sho that the extra
> info will be hidden.
>
> Better would be "show details..." and "hide details" I think.
>
> KDE's ppp dialer has a "details" button that brings up a new window,
> but that window hasa "close" button, worrying becuse you are not
> sure if it means close the window or close the connection!

Well, I didn't make it into a button, but I did change More information to "Show Details" and made the whole triangle + label area clickable.

http://gabber.sourceforge.net/screenshots/gabber-20011229.jpg

What do you guys think? Should the arrow + label just be in a button? I think it would make sense, but I'm not sure if it would look as nice. I guess since this is done using libglade I could just change it and take a screenshot of that too ;)

Julian
--
email: julian jabber org
jabber:julian jabber org