Re: [Usability] Ctl+W

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 15:11, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 10:14, Sergio A. Kessler wrote:
> > - current gnome users are *not* the target gnome users
> >   (at least if gnome want to reach more desktop share than
> >   the current minimal niche)
>
> If current gnome users are not _part_ of the target market than we're
> going to lose to KDE. Period. Because hackers will not hack for
> something that doesn't work for them. And if we don't have hackers we're
> just another corporate sponsored project with no real community and no
> economic advantages over closed-source software.
>
> I'm not saying they are the only target market, mind you, but they
> cannot be blithely ignored with the assumption that they won't leave and
> take their time and effort somewhere else.

I absolutely agree. If we don't aim to make a comfortable and usable
environment for ourselves, how can we expect others to enjoy using it?

Back on the subject of Ctl+w itself - are there any other useful
keyboard shortcuts that are shared across unix environments and
programs?

I don't think we should take great notice of single applications (Emacs,
Vi etc) but where a key combination is consistently used it would be
nice to put that in the HIG.

The only other I can think of is Ctl+h for "delete a character", but I'm
sure there must be more.

--
Pete Setchell
+++++