Re: [Usability] Ctl+W

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:08:22PM +0000 or thereabouts, Pete Setchell wrote:
> > For what it's worth, I use Ctrl+K with the caret at the start of the line.
>
> You can also use Ctl+U anywhere on the line, and Ctl+Backspace at the
> end of it. These are all Emacs hotkeys in action - they're going to be
> disabled by default in the future.

Seriously? I've been skipping through this thread secure in the
knowledge that I thought I saw "Don't use these as keybindings:
they may not been used in this scheme, but they are expected by
emacs-key-binding users and should not be used for other things"
(with a list of bindings I use a lot, although I don't use emacs).

I am beginning to get very worried that I am going to have to
relearn all the things I thought I knew now in this drive to
change all the bindings.

My ideal scenario would be something along the lines of a
dialogue for:

	Choose keybindings:

	Emacs style
	Windows style
	MacOS style
	CDE style

..and so on (I presume Solaris users automatically reach for
those extra keys I kept hitting by mistake on Sun keyboards,
but I forget them now.)

Whether this is a gconf thing or what, I wouldn't know.

> It's all well and good to live in the future, but I'm sure the majority
> of current Gnome users use a terminal on a regular basis.
>
> Hurting your current users to pander to ones that don't exist seems
> insane to me.

The rest is snipped, but I agree with it. I am lost at the
idea that ^Q should do anything, for example: to me, that's
for undoing the effects of ^S :) (Flow control: one stopped
the flow of characters up the terminal if you did 'cat verybigfile'
and the other re-started it.)

Anyway, just another vote for "don't forget about those of us
who have never *used* Windows!"

Telsa