Re: [Usability] Ctl+W

Alan Horkan wrote:

> if i have no choice but to use the shell then its not a full desktop OS,
> dont worry about pandering to Microsoft, look at Apple its where most of
> the MS usability guidelines came from

Historical note... MS's usability guidelines really have more of their
roots in IBM's Common User Access guidelines-- which, coincidentally,
have recently become available online:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/F29AL000/CCONTENTS

> Cant please everyone, so try and please as many people as possible (even
> if they are only potential users) and dont have any nasty suprises
> hidden (watch newbies get confused by Overwrite mode instead of Insert
> if you dont know what i mean).

I don't think anyone would disagree with you that we want to please as
many people as possible, the hard part (as with desigining any user
interface) is trying to constantly improve it and make it easier for a
new audience without losing your previous one.  But it's good fun trying
though :)

Cheeri,
Calum.