Re: To sawfish from metacity?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Brett Viren wrote:

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Dale Huckeby <spock evansville net> wrote:
The panel was
framed, with a (non-sawfish) title bar running its entire length. It was
actually in its own window.

I had this happen with sawfish when I recently upgraded from the
Ubuntu package to a built from source install.  I was killing metacity
and starting sawfish manually to test things out and got the gnome
panels dressed up as normal windows with title and borders.  After
going to System->Preferences->Startup Applications and editing the
Window Manager to point to the newly installed sawfish executable the
problem went away after a re-login.

I thought about that, but the fact that there was no entry for metacity
made me wonder if metacity OR sawfish was, for the purposes of that
configuration tool, considered a startup program? More specifically, since
there was no obvious way, via that tool, to make metacity NOT something
that was supposed to automatically start, I was afraid that adding an entry
for sawfish might really bung things up. Thanks for clearing that up. (So
what keeps metacity from trying to start up, since it normally does so even
without an entry? Do I need to check the "Automatically remember running
applications when logging out" box, or is having a sawfish entry enough to
supercede the default?)

Dale