Re: Requirements in release

Am Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:29:48 +0900 (JST)
schrieb Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>:

> Hi, dear sawfish lovers. Thank you for your words.
>
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:42:12 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> >> I wonder if you could prepare, say, a checklist of release
> >> procedure.
> >
> > Well, this checklist does (imaginarly) exist, but is not failsafe
> > [...] But of course you're right, that this should not happen again.
>
> I see, thank you for your effort.
>
> >> Just a delay of two weeks or so can make [news readability] far
> >> better.
> > I'm sorry Teika, I wanted to do the release finally, as it already
> > delayed 4/5 weeks. [...] 1.6.0 is definitively to be released on
> > the 22nd of December, so feature freeze is end of November and we
> > can then better handle stuff like that.
>
> Deadline makes the progress, yes, but why do you care so much? Is
> gnome inter-operatability related? There're (almost) always

Has nothing to do with GNOME, don't longer care about those, GNOME is
released in March/September, Sawfish in July/December. I'm also
thinking on moving to sf.net, but not now and this deserves an extra
thread.

> competition between release earliness and quality, and the solution
> depends.

Well one month Featurefreeze should be enough to concentrate on better
quality, as new features in sawfish are normally not that ugly, "just"
need rework (tabs, infinite-desktop(I'll take care of this one)).

> Anyway, we learn from experience. So let's hope that we'll do
> better next time.

With settling a releasedate I hope to make it better.

> >> Popularity is the power. Some reports, what's good and bad (or
> >> bugs). They help. Some subscribe ML. A few contribute in ML. A few
> >> of few develops.
> >>
> >> Anyway, thanks a lot for all. I was happy when I knew Sawfish was
> >> resurrected. Now we see a boom come. Another will come.
> >
> > A boom? You mean much more Sawfish users? Sorry, but if you're
> > thinking this way, I think you're wrong:
>
> You're right. I meant zoom, gee, wow, by "boom" ;)
>
> > Oh well, and in the last half year there have more unsubscriptions
> > than subscriptions, but more users are monitoring
> > librep/rep-gtk/sawfish on sf.net, the IRC is pratically dead (I
> > only have had 2 (in words: two) discussions there the last half
> > year), so I would say: The userbase did not change that much.
>
> This is I, and perhaps many wanted to know. Not great, but not bad.

What about a monthly meeting @ the IRC? Just to talk about thoughts,
ideas, blah? This way we also might do 1.6 better than 1.5 (which by
the way has not been so bad, to talk in that way about it ^_^)

> > This may sound pesimistic, but: I absolutely don't care how many
> > users are using Sawfish, for me it's the Ultimate Windowmanager,
> > regardless of anyone else, so you don't have to fear to get rid of
> > me :p
>
> Chris and I don't share taste here, but Chris' attitude is one of what
> promotes free softwares. (Of course I agree it's best-of-best.)

Well, of course I'm happy when we get more users and 'cause of my
MetaCity/Mutter flaming, I'm already known as the "Sawfish-Troll" on
pro-linux.de ^_^;

--
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?