Re: Requirements in release

Am Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:08:15 +0200
schrieb Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de>:

> Am Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:29:48 +0900 (JST)
> schrieb Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>:
>
> > Hi, dear sawfish lovers. Thank you for your words.

> > > Well, this checklist does (imaginarly) exist, but is not failsafe
> > > [...] But of course you're right, that this should not happen
> > > again.
> >
> > I see, thank you for your effort.

> > > I'm sorry Teika, I wanted to do the release finally, as it already
> > > delayed 4/5 weeks. [...] 1.6.0 is definitively to be released on
> > > the 22nd of December, so feature freeze is end of November and we
> > > can then better handle stuff like that.
> >
> > Deadline makes the progress, yes, but why do you care so much? Is
> > gnome inter-operatability related? There're (almost) always
>
> Has nothing to do with GNOME, don't longer care about those, GNOME is
> released in March/September, Sawfish in July/December. I'm also
> thinking on moving to sf.net, but not now and this deserves an extra
> thread.
>
> > competition between release earliness and quality, and the solution
> > depends.
>
> Well one month Featurefreeze should be enough to concentrate on better
> quality, as new features in sawfish are normally not that ugly, "just"
> need rework (tabs, infinite-desktop(I'll take care of this one)).
>
> > Anyway, we learn from experience. So let's hope that we'll do
> > better next time.
> >

> With settling a releasedate I hope to make it better.

> > > A boom? You mean much more Sawfish users? Sorry, but if you're
> > > thinking this way, I think you're wrong:
> >
> > You're right. I meant zoom, gee, wow, by "boom" ;)
> >
> > > Oh well, and in the last half year there have more unsubscriptions
> > > than subscriptions, but more users are monitoring
> > > librep/rep-gtk/sawfish on sf.net, the IRC is pratically dead (I
> > > only have had 2 (in words: two) discussions there the last half
> > > year), so I would say: The userbase did not change that much.
> >
> > This is I, and perhaps many wanted to know. Not great, but not bad.
> >

> What about a monthly meeting @ the IRC? Just to talk about thoughts,
> ideas, blah? This way we also might do 1.6 better than 1.5 (which by
> the way has not been so bad, to talk in that way about it ^_^)

We may also record the discussion and post that record to the ML, IRC
is just faster and more comfortable :)

@ Janeck: could you update the IRC Channels header? (and s/try out/see
also/ in fron of -mmc as it does not work together with recent librep
releases (they no longer include that gnome cruft))

--
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?