Re: [FIXME] Windows freeze when sawfish performs some actions

Hi,
Timo Korvola iki fi (2009-04-08 at 2219.53 +0300):
> GSR - FR <famrom infernal-iceberg com> writes:
> > A solution would be drawing real lines instead, via a shaped window
> > or multiple windows (thin rectangles); which obviously would
> > generate events
>
> But the entire point of the wireframe move/resize mode is to avoid
> expose events.  I don't know how to do this right.

Agreed. :] I guess "you just trigger the events and hope the computer
can keep up".

> There is the
> save-under flag but I don't know if it works anymore in current X.org.

Current sawfish has a comment for the save under in message window,
saying it was too slow. That was years ago, we could test, but I do
not have big hopes as most hints point towards compose and 3D tricks
as the future path.

> The worst flicker tends to come from continuous redrawing of a window
> that is being resized.  Opaque move-outline-mode is generally OK even
> on slower machines.

I think the issue there is from the combined expose events on other
windows (like a normal move) plus the app trying to reorganize all its
own widgets. I have been using opaque modes for ages but I rarely
resize interactively, so I have never been affected much. And in
systems that "do resize right" all I noticed is the mouse was in
different place than the window (which, yes, was redrawn "fine"... at
in a slide show speed).

GSR