Re: Tabs bug: inactive tabs being overlapped

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:19:29 +0200 Vegard Vesterheim <vegard vesterheim uninett no> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 09:47:00 -0700 Daniel M German <dmg uvic ca> wrote:
>

>> I recently started hacking iswitch. For those who don't use it, it is
>> an add-on to switch windows. It shows a list of all windows and lets
>> you scroll through it and use regular expressions to move in it. The
>> windows are listed according to the stacking-order.
>
> I'm using waffle (http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Waffle) which combines
> the functionality of iswitch with the possibility to start new
> applications. This is my favourite showcase when I demonstrate sawfish
> for my colleagues. As an avid emacs user, I find it natural to use
> incremental search to search in my windows the same way I use I-search
> in emacs to organise my buffers. I find that this partially replaces
> the need for tabs, virtual desktops, or workspaces.
>
> Is there any specific reason you prefer iswitch over waffle?

I realized that I should elaborate a bit about how I use waffle, and
why I prefer it over iswitch.

I am a part-time sysadm so my desktop is typically covered with lots
of terminals with ssh sessions against different hosts. I have
configured my environment so that the window titles on my terminals
are the same as the actual commands I use to launch a new
terminal. For example, to launch a new ssh session against a host, I
use a command like 'xssh myhost'. The window title on my terminal is
also set to 'xssh myhost'. So, when I need to revisit this host, I
just type Hyper-S (my waffle keybinding in sawfish), and start typing
x-s-s-h m-y-h-o-s-t. If I already have an existing terminal window
against this host, waffle will show it while I am typing and I can
press Enter to raise this terminal window. If not, I can just press
Enter and sawfish will launch the program for me. I find this very
convenient.

I have tried to use screen and different terminal programs with
tab-functionality, but I like the approach described above better.

I real bonus would be to get real command completion, ala bash/zsh
into this mix.

 - Vegard V -