Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Feature Requests

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 23:14 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:
> GC> I think it would be a good idea to include them straightly in
> GC> svn. In fact, since a lot of people already use this development
> GC> version of rhythmbox, they can easly contribute adding bugtracks,
> GC> so that such plugins can be already included (maybe) in next
> GC> release.
>
> It would be useful to have them in SVN, but that's the rhythmbox
> maintainer's (James Livingston's) call.  In general plugins aren't
> always added immediately because the author may have requested to keep
> it out of SVN for the time being; the code may need cleaning up to
> meet coding/QA standards; or there isn't enough interest or resources
> to maintain a given plugin (none of these things may be true in this
> particular instance).

Having some kind of "experimental plugins repository" to which we added
these plugins, so people can try them out and comment on them, would be
cool.

I'm not sure the best way of doing it though, having a
"rhythmbox-experimental-plugins" bit in SVN probably wouldn't work too
well as unless the author had a Gnome SVN account already they would
have to go though us to change anything. Perhaps if someone implemented
support for NewStuffManager[0], we could have an "experimental plugins"
feed sitting in SVN which people could turn on, and we'd just update
that to point to the location of cool plugins.

As to the actual plugins themselves, I think LastRhythm looks good and
could probably be added after the release. Blocking the UI is one thing
we need to definitely solve (whether by enabling python threads, or
using async http requests), but that can come later.

I haven't looked at the Alarm plugin for a while, but from memory it
worked pretty well. If people think this would be useful to a reasonable
number of people (it probably would be), we could add it.

[0] http://www.k-d-w.org/index.php?page=newstuffmanager

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all
learned. -- Bruce Ediger, in comp.os.linux.misc, on X interfaces