Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Issue with live stream

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 03:41 -0800, Paolo Casaschi wrote:
> Rhythmbox (version on Ubuntu Edgy) fails to play the following live radio stream:
> http://live.mediaserver.kataweb.it/radiodeejay
> Rhythmbox tells me it's trying to connect to the stream but then it does not play the stream.
>
> Other players like VLC dont have any issue with that stream and play correctly.

On my machine, the server returns different data for Rhythmbox or Totem
than it does for VLC.

First it returns an ASF playlist (identical for all players) which
points to two other ASF URIs. If VLC tries to access those URIs, the
server returns the correct data and the stream starts playing. If I
access with Totem/Rhythmbox/wget/my browser, it returns the first ASF
playlist again.

That causes totem-plparser (which Totem and Rhythmbox use to parse ASF
playlists) to detect a recursive loop, and abort playlist.

Assuming that the same happens for other people, the problem is that the
server is trying to be "smart" and breaking it for clients it doesn't
know about.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"I know gcc suggest just an extra set of parenthesis, but I'm personally
convinced that is just because some gcc people have been damaged by too