Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] metadata reader using decodebin

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:19:08PM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Le lundi 02 mai 2005 ?? 22:49 +1000, Jonathan Matthew a ??crit :
>

> > Totem doesn't try to find the MIME type for the file, which is what I
> > couldn't do with playbin.
>
> After talking with BBB from GStreamer and totem, it seems getting the
> mime type would be useful for totem too, so playbin might gain that
> capability some day ;)

That'd be nice.  I was starting to think that we might be able to get
away with not knowing the mime type, but it's better to have it anyway.

> totem has some code to detect if a stream
> contains audio or not, maybe we could use that instead of hardcoding a
> mime type list (though it may suck to have video files listed in the
> library).

The way I'm doing this currently is to check the pads decodebin creates.
If it only creates audio pads (audio/*), then we accept it, otherwise we
ignore it.  I had a look at what totem does, and it's basically the
same.

Does anyone really want to be able to import video files into rhythmbox
and have it just play the audio stream?  I personally don't, but I'm
quite happy to keep my video files out of my music directory in any
case.

thanks,
-jonathan.