Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] metadata reader using decodebin

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 01:26:02PM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Le lundi 02 mai 2005 ?? 21:24 +1000, Jonathan Matthew a ??crit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > patch-5 on my playbin branch replaces the current metadata reading pipeline
> > with one based on decodebin.  It's working pretty well for me -
> > it's noticeably better when it comes to files for which I don't have a
> > gstreamer decoder, it detects non-audio files properly, and it reports
> > errors usefully.  It's no faster, but there's no reason it should be.
> > It also means that rhythmbox will accept any file that gstreamer knows
> > how to decode, rather than having a fixed list of formats.
> >
> > It'd be great if people already using 0.9 development branches could give
> > this the testing it needs.
>
> Ah, great, this is something I wanted to do ;) Any reason for using
> decodebin instead of playbin?

The main reason was that I couldn't find a way to get the have-type
signal from the typefind element.  As it is, it's a bit of a hack to get
it from decodebin.  I was also vaguely thinking about threading issues
(mainly not wanting to deal with them).

What advantages would using playbin provide?  I'm not really sure what
it does that decodebin doesn't.

(also, patch-6 fixes a couple of memory leaks I introduced.  oops.)

-jonathan.