Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] metadata reader using decodebin

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 21:24 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> patch-5 on my playbin branch replaces the current metadata reading pipeline
> with one based on decodebin.  It's working pretty well for me -
> it's noticeably better when it comes to files for which I don't have a
> gstreamer decoder, it detects non-audio files properly, and it reports
> errors usefully.  It's no faster, but there's no reason it should be.
> It also means that rhythmbox will accept any file that gstreamer knows
> how to decode, rather than having a fixed list of formats.

One thing that I though of that would be nice is if it could play files
that weren't "audio files" as such, but had audio tracks in them; in
particular I'm thinking of the couple of music videos I have around.

I guess at some point in the future (when RB does visualisations) it
could use the video tracks as the visualisation, but simply being able
to play the audio tracks would be cool.

I don't know whether it would be relative simple, or not, so it might be
harder than I realise.

> It'd be great if people already using 0.9 development branches could give
> this the testing it needs.

In the short time I've been playing with it, nothing has broken yet.
Better than I seem to have been doing recently ;)

Cheers

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Gravitation can not be held responsible for people falling in love.
     -- Albert Einstein