Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 11:24, James Livingston wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 10:20 +0000, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> > http://php.internet.is/gleipnir/Jukebox.png

> >  1) Source list is a menu item.
> >  2) Area vacated by Source list becomes a Jukebox/Queue display,
> >     containing a scrolling, chronological list of past and future
> >     songs.  The list of future songs is automatically kept full,
> >     taking into account shuffle/no-shuffle settings.  User can
> >     influence future songs via drag-and-drop -- by re-ordering,
> >     removing and adding songs.
>
> I can see two problems with this:
>
> 1) Playlists :- how are you supposed to add things to a playlist
> (instead of drag-and-drop)?

Touche.  I supposed my lack of experience with playlists has been
demonstrated.  Oh well.

> 2) You only have the name of the song there, and I've got quite a few
> songs that have the same name (and different artists). On my setup the
> Title and Artist columns take up about 45-50% of the width of the
> columns in the library.

Is this tremendously important?  Obviously, once the song starts
playing, its information will be shown in the 'now playing' area. When
you dragged the song to the queue you had all this information.  The
only time you might wonder whose rendition of 'Misty' is in the queue
is when it was added there by another user, or by Shuffle.  In the
latter case, there is certainly no lack of functionality.  Today you
have no idea what songs Suffle-mode will play next, with this you would
at least know the name of the song.  I suppose the full information of
the song could be provided as a tip-text (the type that pops up when
you hover over an area), for the intensely curious.

Thanks for the response.

  Gisli