Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Automatic Playlist UI work

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 21:13 +0200, Oliver Lemke wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 03:08 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> > Basically all the patch does is
> > 1) add support for ulong types using a spin box widget (is this the best
> > idea?)
>
> To me, the spinbox widget just feels right.

Currently it's got a upper limit of 10k for no particular reason, I'm
not sure what we should have for that. The only various that stick out
is the max value of a ulong, any other number would be fairly arbitrary.

I'm thinking that I should make the default value not change the
playlist; for example the string properties default to Contains
"" (which has no effect). Making the ulong properties default to >=0
would have the same effect (well, lack of effect actually). Not that you
can actually choose greater-than-or-equal (yet).

> Let me nitpick a bit on the code. :-)
>
> 1) Don't use spaces for indentation in rhythmbox. Change your editor
> settings to 8-character tabs indentation.

Oops. I wasn't doing this on my main machine - I was fiddling around
with the code a bit in gedit, and didn't really think about it. I've
fixed it (well, copied your fix) in my new patch.

> 2) Declaring variables at the beginning of a case statement is not
> allowed. Which compiler are you using??? ;-)

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out how this actually compiled last night
(at 3 in the morning). I didn't think coffee could make compilation work
when it shouldn't, it's definitely not working this morning.

> About the playlist work you mentioned: Does it include column sorting?
> I'm really looking forward to it, so I can even sort my favorite
> songs. :-)

I should get around to it fairly soon - adding properties is turning out
to be relatively easy. Looking for a song to drag to the queue from my
"four stars plus" playlist is *very* annoying when it has absolutely no
ordering.

I'm thinking that the best UI would be to add a dropdown list to the
bottom of the editor with all the sort-by options, and once that works
add support for clicking column headers as a shortcut. You'll still want
it in the editor, because you might want to sort by something you don't
have a column for. The default ordering should probably be alphabetical,
either by title or artist.

I've made an arch branch which now has two patches in it; it *should* be
identical to what is applied to the merge branch. I should be able to
add the rest of the easy properties a bit later today.

http://ids.org.au/~jrl/archive
jrl ids org au--2005
rhythmbox--autoplaylistwork--0.9

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history... with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." -