Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Automatic Playlist UI work

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 21:54 -0500, Thomas Lunde wrote:
> On 4/19/05, James Livingston <jrl ids org au> wrote:
> > Duration: may be of use), probably add
>
> Yes, please.

Now that I think about it, it probably isn't that useful by itself (e.g.
all songs more than 2 minutes and less than three minutes long?), but
might probably be useful as a additional criteria for trimming down
playlists (don't show really short/long songs or something).

> > Track and Disc number: I doubt I'd use them, maybe other would?
>
> I use these a lot when I'm using iTunes.  They are especially handy
> when building compilation discs/playlists.

I was guessing that someone would probably want this; it's only about
three or four lines of (very simple) code. Some of these I was only
asking just to make sure we didn't add pointless options to the list.

> > Bitrate: Not very useful (especially for .oggs or VBR mp3s, etc)
>
> If we have filesize, then bitrate is unnecessary & the reverse is
> true.  I think that as Christophe pointed out, bitrate is handy to
> have visible when there are two copies of a given track and you know
> you want to delete one... but which?

Having them visible as a columns is actually a separate (but kind of
related) thing to what I was doing. It's basically a case of adding it
to the preferences window, I'll add it to my list of things to do (if
no-one else does it first).

I can see how bitrate might be useful though - show all low bitrate
tracks (so you can rip them at a higher bitrate), or add a
high-bitrate-only condition to a playlist. I less sure about anyone
actually wanting to filter on filesize though.

As Christophe said Rhythmbox doesn't do too well with bitrates at the
moment; vorbis(.ogg) and other VBR formats all report 0, which means
you'd probably have to add an exception to the criteria (unless you have
an entirely CBR-mp3 format music library)

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right