Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Proposal for first-generation Musicbrainzintegration

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 19:08, Colin Walters wrote:

> I think one important thing to realize is that tag editing is quite a
> separate activity from music playback, in general.  I think you should
> be able to change the fields in the rb property boxes.  But when you
> start talking about wanting to change a bunch of songs at once, pop up
> dialogs, display various Musicbrainz matches...that's where you want a
> separate application.

I'm sorry to be late catching up with the conversation here. I
definitely think a nice tag editing belongs directly into Rhythmbox.

I see Rhythmbox as an integrated solution to digital music. Grab from
sources - my audio CDs, the net, edit metadata, create favourite
playlists, burn AudioCDs, burn ogg/mp3 CDs/DVDs, store on portable mp3
players. It can be done using just a common music library and have the
apps be separate. Evolution is currently moving away from a single
monolithic app into separate applications sharing some backends.

I can see a standalone CD ripper application importing directly into a
Rhythmbox db, I can see an external burner application with access to
the db, but having an external app to edit metadata is sort of clunky.

You will be looking at the metadata while playing back songs. You will
surely find problems with it and will want to change it. The iTunes UI
gives a nice way not having to enter the same info multiple times
(per-song metadata editing). I'd really like to see something similar in
Rhythmbox.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@ximian.com>