Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Proposal for first-generation Musicbrainzintegration

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 02:28, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:58, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> > I don't think it would take major change or major effort to have
> > extremely useful first-generation support for Musicbrainz.  Here is my
> > proposal:
> >
> > 1. allow tag editing in the song properties window.  This can't be too
> > difficult:
> >     - the UI already supports it since the text boxes look editable
> >     - the backend streaminfo API is already there:
> >         (monkey_media_stream_info_set_value())
> > How hard it is to connect the two?
>
> AFAIR, they're already connected. You just need to implement the set
> functions in monkey-media.
>
> The main problem with the tag editing in monkey-media is that the
> gnome-vfs semantics are uber-broken, and you can't open a existing file
> without truncating it. Suckiness.

You mean "you can't open an existing file *for writing* without
truncating it?"  That's so broken I can hardly fathom.

>  I lost half my MP3s last year when I
> tried that. Then again it should be dead easy to add for local files
> only.

That would cover the most common case, so if gnome-vfs is really that
broken then I think it's a reasonable course of action.

> > 2. In the properties dialog, add a button called something like "Ask
> > Musicbrainz" that queries the server and fills in whatever values it
> > finds.
>
> That's the complicated bit.

Why?  Is the difficult bit getting raw data from gstreamer or querying
MusicBrainz?  If it's the latter, then I disagree -- I implemented a
client to look up artist/album/title/tracknumber for FLAC files in 170
lines of C++.

Josh