Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Proposal for first-generation Musicbrainzintegration

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:58, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> I don't think it would take major change or major effort to have
> extremely useful first-generation support for Musicbrainz.  Here is my
> proposal:
>
> 1. allow tag editing in the song properties window.  This can't be too
> difficult:
>     - the UI already supports it since the text boxes look editable
>     - the backend streaminfo API is already there:
>         (monkey_media_stream_info_set_value())
> How hard it is to connect the two?

AFAIR, they're already connected. You just need to implement the set
functions in monkey-media.

The main problem with the tag editing in monkey-media is that the
gnome-vfs semantics are uber-broken, and you can't open a existing file
without truncating it. Suckiness. I lost half my MP3s last year when I
tried that. Then again it should be dead easy to add for local files
only.

> 2. In the properties dialog, add a button called something like "Ask
> Musicbrainz" that queries the server and fills in whatever values it
> finds.

That's the complicated bit.

> What obstacles are there to a simple level of musicbrainz integration
> like this?

See above.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg
behind her, like a dog at a lamppost.