Re: Rygel/gupnp-dlna missing in new modulesets

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Matthias Clasen
> <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it ought to be part of the core eventually, but only after we
>> have a well-designed integration and know the 'story' for media
>> sharing, I think.
>>
> To expand a bit, questions to be answered first include:
>
> - How is the sharing configured ? We don't have a cc panel or even
> design for it at this point

  Currently, we have a rygel-preferences UI with all (actually more
than what we should have) the options.

> - How do we deal with privacy implications ? There ought be a good way
> to reassure the user that he is not sharing anything with random
> people in the coffee shop, and a way to easily see what is shared.
> This also requires quite a bit of network management infrastructure
> that we don't have atm. Again, no design available.

  Both are already addressed. You can easily configure which network
interface you want to run rygel on (with plans for allowing to specify
network by ESSID) and what media you want to expose.

  The main issue was that the UI we have is not very nice and really
should be merged into gnome-user-share. Thats something me and basiten
agreed on some months back and most of the work on rygel's side
(except for some trivial changes) is already in place but Bastien
unfortunately didn't get time to do the gnome-user-share part. I'm
currently looking into that but so far I'm unable to build
gnome-user-share so I won't promise anything. Also, with current plans
we'll loose the ability to specify the network interface rygel should
run on.

   If we are going to re-think and re-design the UI for this in the
near future, I wonder if its better to just pimp-up the current
preferences UI a bit for gnome 3.0 and go with whatever new
design/plan we come-up with in post 3.0 releases?

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124