Re: Fwd: Programming bounty

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 11:10 +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:44:13PM -0400, Dan Heily wrote:

> > The epitome of my simulations was a machine shop simulation that would roll
> > back lower priority tasks that had allocated a resource that was later
> > needed by a higher priority task.  The process flows included forks/joins
> > whereby a process could split and later synchronize.
>
> This is what I thought Kurt Maute's priority scheduling would be like.
> The advantage of this approach, besides the fact that tasks can easily
> be interrupted, is that the user can manually tweak the schedule by
> changing priorities of tasks. I still think this is a simple, yet useful
> way of scheduling.

Sounds right.  Where I left off was in resolving priority inheritance
issues - such as the scenario where a high priority task is dependent on
a low priority task, which in turn is in contention for resources with a
medium priority task.  My thinking was that the low priority task should
inherit the priority of its dependent task so that the high priority
task wouldn't be delayed due to resource contention of its predecessors.

Its at this point that my day job got in the way, and I had to sideline
the effort.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>