Re: Fwd: Programming bounty

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:22:14AM -0400, Dan Heily wrote:
> This two step simulation needs to be invoked whenever a task or resource is
> added, deleted or modified.

There is a part of planner doing forward and backward passes and each
task actually does have a latest_start and latest_finish property.
I suspect this is just not presented to the user, but I have not yet
looked at the code in detail.

However, the above does assume a complete ordering of tasks and
determining that ordering is probably the most difficult problem. An
algorithm to determine this ordering is what I hope will be implemented
(or integrated in the case of libRCPS) in the coming period.

> I did the above work before C++ and object oriented programming (OOP) and
> the wonderful graphics we now have.  In summary, I know the algorithms, but
> am not facile with the C++ and OOP that the planner is written in.

May I ask what languages you are familiar with? Planner is written in C,
but in a way that is sorta OO. It uses libraries such as glib to provide
us with all sorts of nice things such as lists.

> One additional functionality that I also request is the ability to designate
> a resource as "returnable".  For example if a pool of trucks is shared by
> various tasks, when a task completes the truck used by the task would be
> returned to the pool.  i.e. the resource is not consumed by the task.

Planner makes a distinction between material resources and work
resources. I have not yet noticed the difference though... probably
because I only ever use work resources.

But aren't the work resources (people) exactly the same as the
returnable resources you speak of?

> Please advise if this is a direction you would like to explore.

Your experience could certainly be very valuable for this project.
I regularly have questions about project management or scheduling that I
as a software engineer can't answer nor find the answer to. The answers
to these questions often directly influence the user-visible part of
planner.

Regards,
Maurice.

--