Re: [orca-list] Our list will be moving to Discourse

On 9/13/22 11:36, Kyle via orca-list wrote:
According to Christian Schoepplein:
moving the list to a webbased service will be the most inaccessible and most complicated solution, especialy if it is a discussion plattform for and with blind users :-(. Allthough I know the advantages of those webforums my expirence is that many blind people will not longer use those plattforms because they are to complicated, timeintensive and many unecessary content is presented on those sites. We tried to move mailinglists for blind people to webbased solutions years ago and they are dead now, the people do not longer use them :-(.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute ...

https://forum.audiogames.net/

has been online for many years, and many blind people use it. I don't think they have an email list.

I do have my reasons for preferring email lists over web-based forums which I have mentioned, most notably the fact that they are easier to keep track of and easier to follow, but accessibility isn't the make or break issue, as accessibility of web-based applications has greatly improved over the years, and forum software is no exception.

But what you say isn't really to the point. Sure, blind people can use web forums if motivated. The point the OP made is that they probably won't. And I agree. If this group is moved to a web interface, it will almost certainly be used a lot less. I don't have any scientific data to back this up but I would bet my house that even among technically literate blind people, the percentage of Facebook users is far lower than in the general population. I do a lot of volunteer work for blind organizations and the problem of promoting our group or our events on Facebook comes up all the time. But in a group of a dozen blind people, you are lucky to find 1 or 2 Facebook users. Well, a lot of people say they have a Facebook account, they just never use it. And this is the point.