Re: [orca-list] Our list will be moving to Discourse

As web forums go, Discourse is probably the easiest to read. That said, if I had to go to websites for every discussion I may want to participate in rather than just seeing the messages come to my email, well, that does get a bit hard to handle; I just wouldn't be able to keep track of everything as easily as I do now. Web forums are great if I'm looking for something specific that could be anywhere, as a simple Google search can usually turn up 5 or 6 forums where people have already discussed the exact issue I'm having and someone on at least one of those forums most likely found the solution and posted it. But well-indexed list archives can do the same thing, and an email list tends to be easier to follow, especially if a topic comes into my inbox and I already have the solution, in which case I just hit reply and post it straight from my inbox instead of having to check a website several times a day to see whether or not something has been posted in the category or topic where I can possibly be of some help or otherwise contribute to the discussion. There is supposed to be a mail list mode in Discourse settings, but apparently that emails every post in every topic in every category in the whole forum, which would obviously cover far more than just Orca, how to use it, how things work with it, how to make things work better with it, etc. I for one don't want to think too much about the politics of the board of directors and governance of the GNOME foundation; that kind of thing makes my head hurt, so I probably wouldn't want all that stuff in my inbox. On the other hand, if we will be able to subscribe to a category by email, say Orca for example, and then every topic regarding Orca just gets emailed, and if it's possible to email a new post about Orca and it just goes to the right place, then it does seem like it could be a workable solution that at least has the potential to perfectly balance the web forum and the email list, much like groups.io seems to be able to do, but the web forum portion will probably be easier to read, as Discourse appears to display the entire thread with each post title on its own heading, which I find to be very nice indeed.

~Kyle