Re: [orca-list] Naming, shaming and flaming (was Re: LibreOffice and orca: moving to headings, links, tables etc.)

Kyle and listers,

Anybody continually bashing another platform, making statements which aren't accurate, and continuing to perpetuate myths about other platforms should be called out. Sorry, but calling Windows screen readers laggy and stating the Orca experience is so much more superior is just not true, and this thread is just another example of that. As a long-time Linux user, I can still have enough objectivity to say that Windows screen readers for GUI are generally much better and offer more features, and are certainly not less responsive in most cases including, as this thread discusses, traversing through tables in Docs. The individual calling out the flaming has done quite a bit of his own, and when presented with an opportunity to get on a call where he can learn about Windows screen reader lag or lack of it, he declines.

I don't like fanboyism and think that it does a disservice to list members to perpetuate things that aren't factually accurate. I don't discount anyone's experience, and any reason could be why the machine Kyle used was more laggy. I don't know why that was, but that is not the general exp.erience of users on Windows. Orca has many problems, and there are more than a few reasons why most users can't stick to using Linux for long. Loss of audio, lack of features, issues resulting from kernel updates, lack of native driver support for some hardware, and a need to use programs that work best in one platform or another are just some of these. And, of course, user preference. This isn't just impactful for individuals who rely on GUI screen readers, but is a general statement to some of the issues anyone encountering when choosing one platform over another.