Re: [orca-list] Screenreader Accessibility Testers for Ubuntu

I was using Fedora 35, so it *could* be something particular to Fedora's Mate Compis spin. But it should be stable enough, running Mate 1.26 or so.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 8:38 AM Christian Schoepplein via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 09:26:47AM -0400, Kyle via orca-list wrote:
>Thus spake Devin Prater:
>> I know its quirks. They've just, in my opinion, gotten worse after Gnome
>> 2, into Gnome 3 and 4, and now even Mate is starting to give way to the
>> age of its Gnome 2 roots (see Chrome-based apps crashing or when you quit
>> them, Orca is lost).
>
>So are you saying that the Brave crashes I've been experiencing are related
>in some way to MATE? Although I haven't experienced such a crash in a couple
>of weeks now, maybe I'll give GNOME another try then just to avoid that,
>although I seem to have Firefox working a lot better now. I'm currently
>running the Cinnamon desktop, but it definitely still needs some work before
>it's fully usable. I think MATE still is the best thing going at this point,
>but that's because I love love looooooove the GNOME 2 interface, and MATE
>fixed a lot of its quirks early on, and hopefully things will get better with
>1.28 when it gets released.

I can also not say that I have or had crashes of any application in mate. I
am using my Linux box for weeks now for my job and also private tasks and I
have no crashes with firefox, brave, pidgin, thunderbird and so on.
Sometimes focus gets lost, but after clicking somewhere on the screen with
the mouse lets orca speak again and all its fine.

IMHO Mate and Orca is very accessible and easy to use if someone likes to
learn it.

The biggest problem with linux IMHO still is to setup a system with sound
for the graphical and the textbased environment if you like to have both
worlds or if you need them for work. The pulseaudio hell is a showstopper
for every Linux beginner :-(.

Cheers,

  Schoepp