Re: [orca-list] Screenreader Accessibility Testers for Ubuntu

I can see good things about both ways of doing it. Nowadays in Windows, screen readers do react to changes in the DOM.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 8:39 AM Kyle via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> wrote:
Devin Prater's words included:
> Sure, but it also means that if the DOM messes up, NVDA won't be stuck
> on some part of the page, like ChromeVox, VoiceOver, and all the
> screen readers that try to just work with the browser directly.

Sure there is a bit of stickiness sometimes, but I'd rather have the
occasional bug than to have to deal with extra slow load times,
double-buffering, dynamic content changes that don't show up properly
and just all around bad behavior from my screen reader.

I mean, yes it's websites' fault that stuff like that happens, but
Windows screen readers take the more practical rout of dealing with what
we have now, thus increasing productivity, rather than hoping things get
better and being disappointed when they don't.

I beg to differ. My productivity greatly increased when I was able to
use Firefox with Orca. Pages loaded faster, most of the time, whenever
something was supposed to change, it just worked as expected, and my
screen reader began helping me be more productive rather than busy busy
busy beep beep beep getting in my way. The most practical route is not
to copy the entire page, hope something on it doesn't change and
throwing that out to the end user. The more practical route is reporting
the bugs and working around them until they get fixed. This is a win-win
not only for users, but for developers as well, especially since just
copying the page and presenting the copy to the user leaves many bugs
unfixed and causes many websites to break horribly after a time.

~Kyle