Re: [orca-list] Embossing: unsupported control character in BRF file

Okay, we figured it out: the embosser was still choking on that PDF file. Wonder if there's a way to get LibreOffice to not send PDF's to the printer? I've made that change to the IndexV4 filter, and it works! Now I just have to change the braille code in cups to English UEB, see why it's not embossing with formatting marks like bold and italic from an HTML file, ... although it was generated from Org-mode so maybe if I make it by hand or from Pandoc it'll be fine. And I think I'll be set! Thanks so much! Do you think this patch can be submitted to CUPS and fixed upstream, Samuel?
Devin Prater
gemini://tilde.pink/~devinprater/

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM Samuel Thibault <samuel thibault ens-lyon org> wrote:
Devin Prater, le mar. 17 août 2021 13:16:59 -0500, a ecrit:
> It still gives the same error.

Mmm... Ok, I found the issue, it's the '-' character in the BRF output,
that was caught by a bogus code bit in cups-filters. You probably have
aaaa textbrftoindexv4 or textbrftoindexv3 file somewhere in something
li /usr/lib/cups/filter/, you can send it, and I'll send you a fixed
version. Basically, the line that says

if [ -z "${LINE/*[$'\000'-$'\037'$'\177']*}" ]

should actually be

if [ -z "${LINE/*[$'\000'$'\001'-$'\037'$'\177']*}" ]
aaa
> Is there a possibility that I've set the embosser up incorrectly?

No, that filter error gets triggered way before sending data to the
embosser.

> I have it set to the HP openJet network printer type, with the IP
> address like:
>
> [1]192.168.0.203:9100
>
> And the driver set to Index with model DV4/5.

Yep, that looks fine.

Samuel