Re: [orca-list] Embossing: unsupported control character in BRF file

Okay, so LibreOffice was the one that printed it as a PDF. The actual document is in DOCX format. I converted it to HTML, then to BRF, with the same results.
Devin Prater
gemini://tilde.pink/~devinprater/

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:14 AM Geoff Shang <geoff quitelikely com> wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2021, Devin Prater via orca-list wrote:

> Hi all. I'm running Fedora 34, updated as of like yesterday. I'm trying to
> set up our Index Basic V5 embosser, and I did get it to print a PDF...
> slightly, with only the PDF control characters coming out of the embosser.
> I'm trying to use file2brl, but when printing, it gives the error in the
> subject. Does anyone have any ideas? I need to emboss on a moment's notice,
> so this is slightly important to my job.

Disclaimer: I've not done any of this, so my knowledge is limited.

It sounds to me like you have two issues to solve, and you're trying to
do both at once.

1.  Convert the PDF into something which can be embossed.

2.  Get your embosser working.

You may want to split these up into manageable pieces.

For example, do you know that the PDF has actual text in it, instead of
images?

As I say, I've not done any embossing under Linux, but there may be an
intermediate format that is easier to manage than trying to go straight
from PDF to Braille.

On the other side, you may want to try embossing something that is just
straight text first, to make sure that it all works.

Sorry if you've done some of this already.

HTH,
Geoff.