Re: [orca-list] text console use

Howdy,

if you are running pulse audio you need to configure PA to stream the sound from root to your user (since the background daemon needs root). for that you just need to run the configure_pulse.sh script as normal user and as root:
/usr/share/fenrirscreenreader/tools/configure_pulse.sh
sudo /usr/share/fenrirscreenreader/tools/configure_pulse.sh

after that reboot.

fenrir ships 2 executables:
- fenrir starts an foreground intance (like needed for debugging or the PTY emulation)
- fenrir-daemon spawns an background deamon. used by systemd

reading the TTY 1 - 7 is the default behaviour of  fenrir if you start it without parameters. this requires root access currently.
sudo fenrir
or
sudo fenrir-daemon

not sure about the ubuntu package but i also provide an systemd file.
systemctl start fenrirscreenreader.service

to use the pty emulation just run gnome-terminal and run
fenrir -e
this spawns your default shell with fenrir as emulation process. i currently work to split out this into an own process to speed the emulation up.

you can also start fenrir just from its git directly. but for this you need to install the depencys first. so basical no installation is needed. if you do that take care that you install the python3 version of the dependencies. fenrirs minimum python version is 3.3

dependency list and usecases:
- espeak (default speech)
- sox (defautl for sound icons)
- python-evdev (default input driver)
- python-daemonize (fenrir-daemon)
- dbus-python (default screen driver for TTY1 - TTYX)
- pyudev (default input driver)
- pyte (for terminal emulation)

fenrir can connect to speech-dispatcher as well. this requires some additional setup.

if you have it installed you find the settings at
/etc/fenrirscreenreader/

there is an tutorial mode as well (as far as i remember FenrirKey + F1, fenrir keys by default are windows key or insert
there is also a (little dated) wiki and a manpage.

cheers chrys