Re: [orca-list] text console use

It's not even about Youtube for me. Back in the day about 15 years ago, I was stuck with a different OS that I cursed every day running on a too expensive second-rate laptop just so that I could pay my bills using online banking. Online banking works from phones and such now,  but many websites use technology that is just not compatible with text mode browsers, and I can't be bothered to limit myself to the small subset of today's websites that still use the old technologies supported by the underdeveloped browsers. To this day, no text mode browser supports HTML5 standards, and like it or not, JavaScript is a fact of life, and no text mode browser supports it well enough to make it practically usable, so with the exception of reading some text documentation and a few other very simple things, text browsers are pretty much out of the question for me. And yes, WebRTC is another consideration that keeps text mode browsers from being usable or productive, though I don't really find myself using it much.

The worst thing about exclusive text mode use is consistency of keybindings and the major project of editing configuration files. Take Mutt for e-mail for example. Leaving aside the fact that it limits my mail reading to a screen at a time, precluding the possibility to use a "SayAll" function to read an entire message as I prefer to do, the last time I used it, I couldn't just press the delete key to delete a message or thread, and worse, it took nearly a week just to get my configuration working, and that was using a local mbox file as it came from fetchmail and a pop3 mailbox. Imap, once it came to Mutt, was much more difficult to configure, and never worked for me. With all that said, consistency is in fact the key. In a graphical environment, I always have certain keys that do certain things. For example, control+q or alt+f4 to close a window or application, control+w to close a tab or window in a multi-window application, control+x to cut, control+c to copy and control+v to paste, alt+tab to switch applications, etc. Such consistency leads to much better productivity, since everything is expected to work similarly and most things usually do. Text mode just makes things more difficult and less productive, because different applications tend to have different keybindings to perform similar actions and copying, cutting and pasting generally has to be handled by an entirely different application, either a screen reader or a terminal multiplexer, and in the multiplexer, copying and pasting is limited to the applications that run inside of it. To further muddy the waters, if you have to have text mode and graphical applications running on the same system, copying and pasting between them becomes even more difficult, unless you run a terminal on the same desktop with your other applications, although selection of text then becomes a bit more problematic.

So overall, though I use text applications for some things, especially for file and software management and scripting, I find that in most cases, graphical applications with consistent keybindings and similar features generally make me quite a bit more productive, and the things I do in text mode can be just as easy and productive in one or more terminal windows running in the same workspace. That said, performance of hardware sometimes still makes primary text mode a bit faster than graphical environments running a few text applications in terminal windows, though consistency must be sacrificed in many cases to make this work. On the other hand, very light weight graphical desktops do exist, and only RAM constraints on the most inexpensive hardware tend to make them less than performant now. Still, I think even the Raspberry Pi may be able to work better with things like MATE given the performance boost that the newer 64-bit A53 processor can potentially offer.
Imetumwa kutoka maji