Re: [orca-list] I'm back after forever.

So... a few things.

I finally finally finally managed, to get it to work. All along yes, I had been focused on the desktop, so I don't have even the slightest idea why all of a sudden it started working. However, a new weird problem has advanced, though I might know a way around it.

In Mate 16.10, I found that once I finally did! get to the top panel, again, I have no clue why all a sudden it started working, but anyway, if I left arrow enough times, I hear menu bar. You'd think this to be OK, but the problem then is, if, when I reach menu bar, I try to hit escape to get out of the menu bar, or I try hitting either ctrl+Alt+shift+escape, tab, or alt+CTRL+escape, any of those 3, I cannot move focus away from the menu bar. Not even if I left arrow to applications menu, down arrow to open it, then launch an app at random choice. Also, hitting alt+CTRL+D won't pop me then out of the menu bar back to the desktop.

One of my friends downloaded the daily image of 17.10 from

And Orca was working absolutely gr'rate! over there. I mean, I heard him over the phone in VMWare workstation on Win10 install a VM of it, and it worked perfectly! Of corse, it was on Unity, but, here's the thing though.

He then also with me tested in another VM, a copy of the 17.10 Mate image, and that worked fantastically. The only issue he saw was that when in the top pannel, you can't hit enter on things like the network icon in the notification area. Apparently now, you gotta either hit shift+F10, or applications key on it to right click. So, that's a little confusing, as how do we know when to right click, or when to just hit enter to open the menu? Also, that issue with getting stuck in the menu bar? He also saw that with Mate 16.10, but once he tried 17.10, he said even in the menu bar, he could hit Alt+CTRL+D, and it worked to get him out and to the desktop.

So far, he's telling me the only catch to this is, if you land on menu bar, then you open one of the menus, like the applications menu for example, you then have to hit escape to close the menu, then! and only then, you can hit ctrl+Alt+D. In 16.10 though, we found that to not even work.

So, yeah, I'm about to try the Mate image of 17.10 for myself and see how far with it I get.
---
Christopher Gilland

http://www.gshministry.org
(980) 500-9575X401