Re: [orca-list] Antergos the next Arch alternative which works

In the past, for some reason chromevox did not work so well with chromium in many cases, skiupping lines,
seemingly in a random manner. I had little of
this myself.
The other advantage that chrome had was that it allowed one to install a TTS from the webstore, now google
play, which was good to have as even though I
prefer espeak, speech-dispatcher did not work for me for a long time, at least a year, and then once after it
more or less started working again it sopped
for a while, not sure whether the issue was chromevox or chrome related.
As I stated in one message, I've not tried chromium in a while, and perhaps all the issues are corrected.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 07:35:36PM -0500

Chromium works here with no problems at all. I'm not sure what makes Chrome
better than Chromium, as both should work with Chromevox. That said, the
Chromium-chromevox package in the AUR is designed for Chromium, so you will
have better luck using that browser, since Chromium is the version in the
Arch official repository if either Arch or Sonar is your chosen
distribution. In most other distributions, you will need to install
ChromeVox manually by copying a very oddly named file, so it really doesn't
matter if you use Chrome or Chromium. I think the only real difference is if
you want to use Netflix, but that's supposed to work in Firefox now,
although it doesn't where here yet.

Regarding Flash, I haven't used it in years, because it's all but deprecated
upstream, and only a few straggling webmasters still insist on using it.
Well there's that, and also the fact that neither Flash nor any alternative
has ever worked with a screen reader on anything other than some very hit or
miss cases on Windows, but that was also many years ago, and I don't know
how even that combo works now. Thing is Adobe killed Flash on pretty much
all but Windows now anyway, so it's really not being updated anywhere else,
and so really isn't even worth trying to get working now. For nearly
everything that says it needs Flash, there seems to be a work-around that
generally does well using something like mpv or vlc, or even youtube-dl, and
all these are far more screen reader friendly anyway, so I just use those.
Sent from under the cherry moon