Re: [orca-list] Sound latency in KVM

On 9/24/2015 2:32 AM, kendell clark wrote:
I've seen the missed characters issue in espeakup. I'm not going to be
of any help whatsoever, because I dont' have a clue what causes it, but
this only seems to happen if you start espeakup after pulse audio and
speech-dispatcher start. To test, try killing orca and
speech-dispatcher, and see if performance improves. If it does, I'll add
this to my to track down list.

No, that's not it. On the host machine, there is no Pulse. I removed it by hand. Speech works fine without latency or crackling. The problem only happens with sound coming from the guest with KVM. It happens whether I'm in X or not and even if I use the -curses option to KVM. The live CD in question doesn't have Pulse or Speech Dispatcher, only ESpeakup. It's designed to be a command line rescue CD without X and it works fine when booted on the host. It's obviously an issue with KVM, so perhaps slightly off topic for this list, but it would be nice to spin up a VM with Fedora, for example and not have the latency when using Orca within the VM.