[orca-list] Sound latency in KVM

On 9/23/2015 10:24 PM, Luke Yelavich wrote:
You can take steps to reduce the latency with VMWare guests. Here is  a
guide I found that helps you do just that.

http://blog.bryansmart.com/2012/02/16/low-latency-sound-for-vmware/

Is there such a guide for Qemu/KVM? Yes, I admit I haven't looked myself. The latency isn't too bad, but I do get some crackling and odd behavior with ESpeakup running inside a VM. Part of it could have to do with the fact that the guest is a live CD, but I don't have this when booting the CD image on real hardware.

Also, sometimes speech won't start in the VM, even though I know sound is working. I designed the CD to play a startup sound which always plays in the VM, even when speech doesn't come up. If I manually start espeakup, some characters aren't spoken and the speech acts strangely. I'm not describing it very well, but I haven't seen this kind of behavior before. I'm not using Pulse at all and this happens whether I'm running KVM in X or not. The relevance to Orca is I would like to run Fedora and/or Sonar in a VM, but I don't want the high latency if there is a simple workaround. I can put the CD image online (699 MB) if anyone wants to test.