Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

There are no female voices available out of the box, i.e. you have to at least paste a female variant on to the end of a voice file and do a bit of editing to remove double naming and create a unique name for your new voice file. It is easy to do, and on my continually growing 2do list converting a couple of support emails in to a short howto is something that should get a priority star. While the majority of the nvda voices are rather terrible there are several very good ones, of course this is my subjective opinion. On the other hand there is really only one good eloquence voice that I would consider relatively human sounding, the default one. There is a 2nd eloquence option that is pretty much just a slightly pitch modified version of the default voice that's good, but it's so close to the default voice that I don't really consider it a separate option. Try doing nothing but adjusting pitch and see if you don't find that read and Glyn sound almost if not exactly the same. The latest nvda, (can't remember if an add-in is required), lets one play with a lot of detail of voice configuration with out going in and editing files with a text editor, saving and so forth. This excellent tool should make it much easier to learn how different parameters effect a voice. Just as with hand editing one should not change too many settings at a time until one has gotten a feel for how each setting effects things as there is often more than one way to achieve a similar effect, and one adjustment can cancel out another.

     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

On 18/05/15 04:39 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
I seem to remember Bill Cox doing a considerable amount of research on this sort of thing a while back.  You
might track him down and consult with him.  He's the guy who wrote the sonic library that enables one to
listen to Espeak at a considerable rate of speed without losing clarity.  I remember he was doing something
with other tts's as well.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Mike Ray
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 2:26 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

As someone who did a lot of DSP programming back when I could see, if I could find a linguistics expert who
could tell me what there is about the voice spectrum of a real human that makes it sound like a real human, I
could have a go at mucking about with the espeak voices.

But because I can't see the spectrums any more I am stumped.

It's all very personal, but I personally have no problem with any of the espeak voices.  And there are some
female voices.