Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

I am thankful for eSpeak, and I do much prefer Eloquence, however, I install
NVDA on a lot of people's computers in my work, that is, people who have
used a computer with sight, and when they are having trouble using their
computers due to vision loss.
Their reaction to eSpeak is not favorable, and when I switch it to
Eloquence, they find it more palatable.
And most beginners are willing to sacrifice quality of speech for
performance, as I point out how when I switch to a SAPI voice, they are
going to experience some lag in typing in some situations due to the nature
of the SAPI voices, and they are willing to put up with it, because they
like the sound of the voice.
Personally, I would prefer eSpeak, if Eloquence presented poor reaction to
my input, but Eloquence sounds better to me, and suffers no lag, i.e., is
not a memory hog.
Plus I like that most sighted folk cannot understand the Eloquence, at the
rate I have it at, thus it gives me some privacy without having to wear
headphones.

Glenn

Known  as: Glenn, Lenny, or N0YJV