Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 11:41:49AM AEST, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
I am thankful for eSpeak, and I do much prefer Eloquence, however, I install
NVDA on a lot of people's computers in my work, that is, people who have
used a computer with sight, and when they are having trouble using their
computers due to vision loss.
Their reaction to eSpeak is not favorable, and when I switch it to
Eloquence, they find it more palatable.

Its worth noting that NVDA out of the box uses an espeak variant, and I myself don't find that particular
variant palletable at all. I disable all espeak variants on all systems where I use espeak, as the default
voice is more acceptable to my ears.

I wonder whether people would think differently of espeak if no variant was used by default with NVDA.

Luke