Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech

I totally agree, and have never used the default espeak voice for very long, and have suggested that they change the default. I like some of the espeak voice/variant combinations, and have made voice files for myself and others so that some of these nvda/espeak voices can be used easily on Linux as well as creating a few new voices which include variant data in there voice files. Even so I normally use the U.S. English male voice with no variant added or other modification as my default voice on Linux. Actually the phone version of voices usually if not always filters out the high end as they assume that phone hardware is not able to reproduce the higher frequencies. I am almost certain I tested eloquence's phone spin and this was true there. If your hearing loss is most notable with higher frequencies having more emphasis on the midrange may make it appear to have more highs to you? As for whether people would like espeak more if another voice was chosen I can only assume that some would and some would not. Once in a while I hear someone say that people would not mind espeak so much if only the nvda default voice was used as default in Linux...lol, but again I can only guess that would help some people, and hurt others. I do always try and remind new users of any synth to experiment with tone, and anything else available for that synth, e.g. inflection, and to try all the available voices and or variants. I wish those who package espeak would add a couple of female voices at least, and a couple o the klatts in ready to use voice files. To do so for all languages could obviously grow the voices sub-folder of espeak-data a lot, but at least do so for English where espeak is best in my opinion. Again I think the bottom line is that voice preference is a matter of choice, and in many cases need as some people just can not understand one voice and can another, so even if one synth is well maintained and much cleaner from a coder/packagers point of view it may be of little value to some people who can comfortably use an old patched together speech engine. Those huge old decktalk external hardware synths made the best synth speech in their day by a mile in my opinion, and still are one of the easier to understand options. I've not heard a decktalk box in years, but if my memory is even 50% correct they sure sound better than decktalk software speech, to me.

That "to me" is the key of course, and no matter what any of us like I hope we can all agree that it is very important to have as many choices available to Linux users both for use with speech-dispatcher and self voicing aps, not to mention speakup. No matter how mujch better Linux may be than the alternatives a user who can't understand available voices, or gets headaches using them is not going to stick around to find out.