Re: [orca-list] why Skype works in Ubuntu 15.04

yeah, and just as most people have little if any voice in whether or not MS or any other company pulls an API we do not know when a gov might decide to cut food assistence, i.e. unless you have a good fallback option it's usually best to take the job, at least until you find something else more to your liking.. Companies will choose google-aps like drive and docs, gmail, etc, MS-office, and yes, there are even cases where Windows lovers decide to take jobs in Linux shops because that's where the job offer comes from... As most people on this list probably know it can be much harder for a blind person to find good jobs compared with their sighted counterparts. If a blind person doesn't take a job offer because they'd have to use some software they don't care for that only enforces the image of the unemployed disabled. It certainly won't go very far at changing enterprise software prefferences whether good and logical or not. Of course if a person can afford to stick to their prefferences and principles I am not going to be one to criticize.. Just don't think you are going to make a difference in the big picture very often with such choices when the app you don't like is used by hundreds of millions and integrated with such popular software and services as outlook and facebook. Personally I spend most of my VOIP money with callcentric and keep skype around for the times when it's the most efficient and comfortable way to communicate and as a fallback in emergency situations. Also to be fair accessibility has improved on windows and Linux since MS bought the co. I was driven away because of the end of direct als support. se it except

     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

On 14/05/15 05:13 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
In the end, companies will do what they will do as it is their right to conduct business in any way they see
fit within the confines of the law of the country in which they operate as is their right to choose what sort
of software they will use to run their facilities.  Also, in the end, someone looking for a job will have to
decide on one thing:

"Do I want to pay my bills or do I want to tell someone else how to run their business?"  The two are often mutually
exclusive and, one must eat, after all.  I'm not going to come home to my wife and say:  "Honey, I turned down the job offer
I got form XYZ Corporation at a rate of 50 k a year because they use Microsoft and I want them to use Linux so, it's back to the
drawing board.  Have we gotten our food stamp card yet?"

Thanks.
Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Kyle
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:24 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] why Skype works in Ubuntu 15.04

According to Christopher Chaltain:
# I think it is pretty harsh to tell a blind person who needs to use Skype # as part of their job that they
just shouldn't use a Microsoft product.

And I think it is rather shortsighted for any business to force their employees to use software that is so insecure and backward,
or face unemployment. On one hand, they say they care about their "trade secrets," "intellectual property"
and all that other noise they talk, and on the other, they want to give all that stuff away to Microsoft, the NSA and the Chinese
government. No, I will not be forced to give away any of my personal information to Microsoft or any other government entity just
because a company that wants to hire me is too shortsighted and backward looking to use real enterprise-level technology. As
their potential employee, it is my duty to care that they don't.
Sent from my bug zapper
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/