Re: [orca-list] why Skype works in Ubuntu 15.04

On 05/13/2015 05:26 PM, kendell clark wrote:
As for skype ... not to
sound harsh or uncaring, but fsck microsoft. If they cannot and will
not rebuilt their application to at the very least use 64 bit qt4
libraries, which, while being phased out, are at least still supported
upstream, then they don't deserve your business, obsession, whatever
you want to call it.

There are plenty of people who need to use Skype as part of their jobs. This has nothing to do with people wanting to give Microsoft their business or being obsessed about Microsoft products. I used Skype in a previous job, and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be unemployed over an unwillingness to use a product where the developers have yet to port their application over to a new library. I don't care how you feel about Microsoft, and everyone can have their own opinion, but I think it is pretty harsh to tell a blind person who needs to use Skype as part of their job that they just shouldn't use a Microsoft product.

BTW, I'm not so sure Microsoft isn't going to update Skype for Linux. A lot of nay sayers said Microsoft would kill Skype on Linux when they first acquired it, and they've since released updates to Skype for Linux. For Skype to be successful, it has to have a lot of users, and Microsoft needs to support it on Linux like clients, even if they don't see Linux as a big market.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail