Re: [orca-list] Important: Web accessibility survey for screen reader users

Hi,

I've taught Orca and GNU/Linux to someone which works in Web a11y and wrich isn't far from W3C. Her feedback was interesting, I think, to explain the problem: 1. Very hard to evaluate Orca for Web a11y, as it's strongly distro/versions-dependent. So she sees that as a mess to evaluate. Diversity is a problem in such cases to recommend a version, a distro, etc., especially when any new release nearly removes the support for older releases. The frequency of releases and support is a problem she mentioned. 2. Orca is less performant, from much users point of view, than NVDA or other screen readers. Especially, we saw a different behavior with modern Web techno such as ARIA, html5 sometimes, etc. and with latest a11y !ecommendations. And sometimes more latency.

Those 2 reactions make people not recommend Orca at all. That's why we need to change this program's status regarding the support and the guidelines (it's what we try doing with Hypra), and helping code improvements (it's what we plan to do).

Best regards,