From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of B. Henry
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 11:48 AM
To: Magdalen Berns; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Important: Web accessibility survey for screen reader users

It is counter productive to not participate.
If you have not ever done this survey perhaps you are unaware that in all cases I remember there is an other
option where you can write in orca. Perhaps my memory is not 100% correct, and there are questions where this
is not ture, but again, I don't remember not being able to write in Orca, and speakup.
I mention both as I use both, and i check NVDA or listed alternatives where appropriate. I  think there are
questions where you are asked to put screenreaders in ordr of which you use most, but may be confusing this
with other surveys. I'm really sory I didi not do this year's survey now that this has become such a topic of
interest here as having more people mentioning Orca and friendswould likely have more impact.
I don't remember if write ins such as Orca are mentioned by name in the published results or not, or if
"other" is just shown as such lumpiing all write-ins together.
I seem to recall that there is an overview or results as well as a detailed results presentation. They also
showed trends comparing where they compared
current results to past years with some analysis.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Magdalen Berns wrote:
Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 05:28:01PM +0100

     I doubt very much the authors of this survey are part of some world wide
     conspiracy against Orca or open source software.

   Me too but with that said there are some situations where
   industry/institutions have reason to endorse one product over another. DSA
   assessment centres in the UK are a bit "unmotivated" by free software
   alternatives, for example. It happens...
   In any case, you certainly have a point in that products like Orca do not
   always come to the attention of those who may benefit from learning about
   it so I don't see the harm in anyone getting in touch with an organisation
   like WebAim to let them know what's great about Orca (or with filling out
   their survey either - as long as they are willing to share the findings by
   publishing them with everyone else in an accessible way) but good in that
   idea.
   Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's great to see people invested in
   getting the word out there in any shape or form, really. I hope people
   continue to bring great ideas like this up! The more people helping to
   promote GNOME as a credible accessible alternative to proprietary
   offerings, the better!
   Thanks,
   Magdalen

     I think it's much more likely that it was just over looked or that
     Linux/Orca just isn't used by enough people, at least with some actual
     statistics, to merit inclusion in this list. ChromeVox is new, and is
     the screen reder for ChromeOS and ChromeBooks, so I'm not surprised it's
     on the list, at least for now. I'd suggest doing what I did and
     including Orca on the survey yourself as an other or in the write in
     comments.