Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

hi
I'll second this. Having used all the major screen readers minus
voiceover at one time or another, I've found orca to be the best of
them. There was a period of ... oh, six months to a year when firefox
performance was truly atrocious but that has now been fixed and
there's been nothing like it since. I hold to my belief that NVDA is
the best screen reader for windows, just as orca is the best, and only
graphical one for linux. Speakup is nice, and I'm not complaining
about it. I do wish the maintainers would  get more serious about
fixing some of the longstanding issues with it, such as needing a
separate package for using software synths, and the persistent
problems with pulse audio but that's not really my area of focus. I'm
focused on improving the a11y experience of linux in the graphical
area. Having said all that, if anyone were to ask me for help nudging
someone in the right direction I'd be happy to do it. I'm under the
firm belief that blind people deserve easy access to computers,
whether that access be graphical or through a shell. Since linux is
the only OS that allows this without depending on a graphics layor, it
stands to gain the most when the problems get fixed. Windows requires
a gui to function, and OSX has a shell mode I believe, but doesn't
have a screen reader available unless you're in graphical mode. BSD
might have a screen reader for this but if so I don't know what it's
called. Getting back on topic, I'll take orca any time. If orca gets
murged into gui control centers in a "screen reader" icon, so much the
better. If it doesn't, oh well. As long as it continues to improve I'm
fine with it.
Thanks
Kendell clark

 Henry wrote:
Well said Devin. I am really happy to see pretty much every post in
this conversation taking reasonable and even at times somewhat
inspiring tones. Of course we do have a similar conversation every
few months it seems, and that is probably not so necesary, but even
if we do need to hear our own voices semi-anually as long as we
keep on with the "Keep the good, and keep looking for the better"
attitude it is not so bad...lol Of course the average user could
care less what is under the hood as long as it works well, and is
not hard to use, so at timesone can innovate while keeping the look
and feel more or less consistent. I seldom see non geeks
complaining about some invisible in the interface code change, it's
more when the comfortable interface gets tweaked or totally
reworked that the hounds start to howl.