Re: [orca-list] Programers guide for Orca development

Good points as well.
Of course it's always best to get applications to have code that complies with best accessibility practices,
but that being said not only might it
sometimes be easier  to work around issues if an app is not that well written, and I suspect there will be
times when lead devs may not be willing to
accept accessibility patches sadly, and at least for a time orca may have to give more than it really ideally
would.
Also there are relatively minor, but potentially rather helpful features that a less than stellar coder could
probably add to Orca, e.g. the
progress-bar beeps that have been discussed here a couple of times.
I suspect there's plenty of work to go around in c++, python and other languages...smiles

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jason White wrote:
Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 08:59:49PM -0500

B. Henry <burt1iband gmail com> wrote:
I totally agree with what you say here. I do think it would be good to have some documentation to get the
inexperienced programmer up to speed a bit
easier. I think there are probably novice python coders who care enough about Orca because they use it
every day for everything they do who would in
some cases be able to make some contributions if they had a bit of guidence.

This may be true. I also think that focusing attention on changing Orca is a
little misguided, since many of the bugs and limitations are in applications and
desktop environments rather than in Orca itself. I'm sure Python programmers
can contribute and I would encourage them to do so. The greatest need, though,
is for C and C++ programmers who can work on libraries and applications to
make them more accessible.